The Goal Zero Yeti 3000 Lithium Portable Power Station is a lithium battery powered small portable solar generator, designed for using to charge your devices and run your appliances while camping or without electricity. It’s specially Wi-Fi enabled, so you can control it and adjust it with just a tap of the button.
Lithium powered generators are perfect for people who are sick of constantly filling a noisy generator with gas. With this option, you can run hours of power without a single trip to the gas station. It’s the same in power capacity as a small, traditional generator.
This model can also be recharged with solar panels in as little as 6 hours, perfect if you’re without electric. You can also use the generator while charging it to extend battery life. It also comes with two A/C chargers that allow you charge it from your home’s outlets in about 25 hours or more.
Why You Should Use a Lithium Battery Powered Generator
Traditional generators run off gasoline. This can prove costly and annoying, as you constantly have to go get more fuel during the usage of the generator. With a lithium battery powered generator, you don’t have to worry about fuel ever again.
Lithium battery powered generators are much cleaner in terms of energy. They’re rechargeable, don’t require any kind of fossil fuel, and can even be recharged by solar power for even cleaner energy. You’ll leave a much smaller carbon foot print with lithium powered generators than traditional generators.
Lithium batteries occasionally need replaced, but don’t require much, if any, maintenance. On the flip side, traditional generators often break down and need parts replaced. This just adds to your overall ownership cost of traditional generators.
Lithium generators can be a greater initial investment, especially when you add in solar panels as most generators don’t come with them. But over the long run, they perform better and last longer with less maintenance costs than traditional gas generators.
The Details of the Goal Zero Portable Power Station
This model can power up to ten devices at once with its outputs. It’s Wi-Fi enabled, which allows you to monitor the battery’s power supply and the outgoing power usage as well as adjust the outgoing usage.
To charge the model, you can:
- Plug into the wall with the two A/C chargers and leave for 25 hours to charge, OR
- Purchase solar panels or adapt currently owned solar panels to charge it. The solar panels you use will change the charge time drastically. The minimum is 6 hours.
It stores 3,075 watt-hours in the battery, roughly enough to run a standard fridge for 50 hours. According to its listing on Amazon, it can also be used for things like:
- Charging your smart phone 150+ times
- Running 32 LCD TV for 22 hours straight
- Charging your laptop for 58+ recharges
It weighs 68 pounds, lighter than most filled, gas powered generators.
Solar Panel Charging with the Goal Zero Portable Power Station
If you plan on charging your generator with a solar panel system and you currently have a solar panel system, you may not need to purchase any more solar panels. This model has a 22V max solar input, so keep that in mind when figuring up your solar panel system.
If you don’t have any solar panels yet, you should go for the same brand of generator as for solar panels. Goal Zero has several different solar panel and solar panel systems for you to check out.
If you aren’t sure about the compatibility between specific solar panels and the generator, you’re best to contact the company, as they don’t have the information for compatibility on their listing.
Benefits of Goal Zero Portable Power Station
There are a host of benefits we’ve discussed in this, but let’s sum it up.
- It’s lithium battery powered, clean, green, renewable energy
- It’s Wi-Fi enabled, to allow you to make adjusts with the generator with just your smart phone
- It has a massive power storage
- It can be run while you’re charging it, allowing you to extend its run time
- You can power up to ten different devices with all the different output options
- It’s quiet, because it’s a lithium battery
- It can be recharged via a wall A/C outlet or with solar panels
Cons of Goal Zero Portable Power Station
With all the benefits, there are still some cons we have to consider before purchasing:
- You also have to purchase the solar panels, if you wish to charge it via solar power
- If you aren’t charging it via solar power, it can take up to 25 hours. This is a long time to wait, and it is a pretty substantial amount of energy
- Because it’s lithium, in emergencies, you can’t just run down to the gas station and refill the tank. Once the energy in the battery is used, if you can’t recharge it via the A/C outlet charger or the solar panels, you can’t power anything until you recharge it
If you own solar panels already, you don’t have to worry about any of them. If you purchase solar panels, you don’t have to worry about either of the last two.
Synopsis of Goal Zero Portable Power Station
The Goal Zero Yeti 3000 Lithium Portable Power Station is a great option if you’re looking to have a small generator that isn’t noisy and produces energy in a clean, green way. It’s great for camping in comfort or being prepared for emergencies or anything else you can imagine.
- 1 Product Overview
- 1.1 Why You Should Use a Lithium Battery Powered Generator
- 1.2 The Details of the Goal Zero Portable Power Station
- 1.3 Solar Panel Charging with the Goal Zero Portable Power Station
- 1.4 Benefits of Goal Zero Portable Power Station
- 1.5 Cons of Goal Zero Portable Power Station
- 1.6 Synopsis of Goal Zero Portable Power Station