If you’re looking for a power source that’s lightweight, compact and super easy to store and carry, Wen, a company that ranks high on our generator ratings chart, has some great options for you.
Portable generators work by turning mechanical energy into electric power and they are great to have handy to plug in your slow cooker or stereo at a tailgate party or power your tools on a job site. A portable generator can be a nice addition to your campsite or just keep one around to act as emergency backup in the event of a power outage.
Different generators have different power capabilities so be sure to consider what you’ll use a portable generator for most. You can make sure to buy a generator with wattage high enough for whatever the applications are that you need.
How I Do Know Much Wattage I Need for My Portable Generator?
If you have specific applications in mind for your generator, you should make sure the generator you’re considering actually has enough power to run those specific items. There’s nothing more disappointing that breaking in a generator only to find that it’s not capable of powering what you need. Wen Portable Generator is a simple problem that can be easily avoided if you familiarize yourself with wattage.
There are two different numbers you need to know in order to choose the right generator. The starting watts (or surge watts) and the running watts. Your generator will list the maximum starting and running watts it’s capable of handling.
Similarly, the electric items you hope to power all have a running wattage (the watts required to keep the item running). You can find this number by checking the owner’s manual that came with the device if you still have it. The manufacturer’s website will also give you this information if you no longer have your user’s manual.
Some items, like air conditioning units or heavy power tools, have a starting watts number too. Typically, devices with an internal motor will require a higher burst of power for a second as they start up, then they power drops to their running watts.
If you’re willing to power down certain items during use, you can get away with a lower wattage. For instance, if you can unplug appliances like a slow cooker or a television while you run a microwave then you can use a lower wattage generator. If you want to have many things running at once, you’ll probably want to opt for a higher wattage generator.
You can use this handy wattage calculator to get an estimate of how much power you might require from your portable generator.
Portable Generator Information
Back in 1951, Wen put the power in power tools when they introduced electricity to some commonly used tools. Ever since then, they’ve continued to be at the forefront of new technology and innovation so their customers always have just the right tool for every job.
Wen’s 1000 Watt Portable Generator is a great option if you have light power needs on the road or at the job site. With 1000 starting watts and 900 running watts you have a lot of options for what you can run with this handy little generator. You can transport and store it easily and the best part is it requires very little routine maintenance compared to other standard generators.
- Unit includes one 120V 7A outlet (standard household) and a circuit breaker in case of an overload.
- Built in spark arrestor allows you to use this generator while camping in national and state parks since you won’t have to worry about emitting flammable debris.
- Has a 63 cc, two stroke engine that comes standard with a built in, internal cooling system to protect it. Easily start the engine with the manual choke.
- Uses a one gallon tank which provides up to 5 hours of half-load running time.
- Built in handle to make carrying and transporting easy.
- Uses a 50 to 1 mix of gas and oil so you can avoid the maintenance that duel fuel generators require and you won’t have to worry about oil changes.
- It’s EPA III and CARB compliant.
- Includes Wen’s 2 year warranty.
- Operates pretty noisily so you may need to position it far from where you’re gathering or working.
- First time starting up may be more difficult but it should get easier after that. Placement of the manual choke is also a little awkward.
For an easily portable generator that requires very little maintenance you can’t go wrong with this Wen Portable Generator model. Enjoy music and hot food before the big game, reliably power all your tools on a remote job site, charge your phones while camping so you explore safely or just experience a peace of mind when a big storm is predicted. If you have a Wen generator you’ll never have to worry about being left in the dark.